My hand may be forced sooner than I'd wanted. The Mac Pro has started getting flaky on me. Twice in the past couple of days, it's locked up with a completely white screen. It's had a problem for a while with seeing all 12 GB of memory in it; most, but not all, of the time, it's only seen two 1 GB DIMMs where there are 2 GB DIMMs.
I'm suspecting that something in one of the memory riser boards is failing. There are two of them in the machine, with two 2 GB DIMMs and two 1 GB DIMMs each. I may try replacing one, just to see if that cures the problem, but first, I'll pull it apart and blow the dust out of it. Sometimes the little steps are the best.
If it stays flaky, though, I'm going to have to make a decision, fast: do I try to replace it now, or do I take the plunge? I'm not ready to go Linux whole hog yet. There are too many things I depend on OS X to do right now, from generating Microsoft Office documents to using Citrix Remote Access software to using Microsoft Remote Desktop over Cisco VPNs to doing GoToMeeting meetings, all for talking to customers and keeping the bills paid. If I drop OS X, I need to have an alternative, and that alternative had better not be "run Windows!". If I wanted to run Windows, I'd be doing it already. I can run Windows 7 in a VM, but if I spend all my time in the VM, then I might as well run Windows for real and do away with the middleman.
And no, not doing any of the things I listed in the last paragraph is not an option. I'm not in a position to tell customers that I'm not going to work with what they demand of me.
Replacing the entire box will cost me a kilobuck, but in the process I'll get an upgrade by one generation to one that can run Mountain Lion natively. That's a kilobuck I just don't have at the moment, however.
So, how do I keep serving my customers in a Linux environment?